Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chemo Session No 2

Just getting home and settled down after a VERY long day.... Woke up this morning prayed up with my mind set for my second round of Chemotherapy. Mother stayed with us last night, as she was driving me over today and staying by my side.  My husband had to be at work at 3:00 am, so we said our goodbye's early. My babies were looking forward to spending the day with their Nanny ~ so I felt good about leaving.

The rain put somewhat of a damper on the drive, but by God's grace we arrived in time to get started. I decided to participate in a clinical trial that tests genes for how chemotherapy affects patients undergoing treatment. I have several questionnaires to complete over the course of my next 14 days... So we'll see. My thought is if  can help any other woman, man or child get better treatement for Cancer then I'm game... There is a story about the Black woman who's cancer cells were stored at Johns Hopkins and have been duplicated thousands of times for research... what a story. I'll post her name later, as I plan on getting the book.

So accessing my port today was VERY painful... for some reason the first nurse couldn't get the needle in. She poked me once... OUCH, pumped, no blood... Uh oh. She tried a longer needed, poked me twice... EXTRA OUCH because i was only iced and had not used my lidocaine(sp) to numb the area. So she called on nurse Heather to come and do it. She was busy... What tha?  I'm sitting over her poked twice and still not accessed for blood.

Heather freed herself up from other patients, found a long needle and got ready to access the port. It took about 20 minutes to locate the proper needle. Told ya'll i'm tougher than nails... they needed something special to work.

All while this is going on, my mother is squirming in her seat and about to just pass out flat on the floor. I'm cracking up, she doesn't understand how I could be taking this without jumping out my seat. But I told her, my attitude must remain positive so that I don't get to that point of weakness and it's all over... I'm done, I'm sick, I'm frail, I can't eat, I can't do things that I have to do... so I prayed that the next attempt  would be successful; took a DEEP BREATH and she pushed it in, strong, deep and to the metal backing... YES!!!! It worked the blood started flowing out.  Let the Chemo begin!

The good thing about the port is that once it's in for the blood draw -  I go downstairs to meet my doctor who reads the lab report to ensure that my levels are good and can withstand chemo. Levels were on point so I'm good to go!

We grabbed some lunch and went back upstairs @ 1:30 for my chemo. So far so good, the ride home was great, no rain and the traffic was minimal. I relaxed!

My dear friend prepared lasganga dinner for the family and it was great! I am so grateful ~ It is these types of precious moments in my life that remind me how Blessed I am and how many people really do care for me. For the past few months, my co-workers have been bringing a variety of meals over on Friday for dinner. I've even had Breakfast on a Saturday (Kids loved this) and other items that I can just pop in without having to cook from scratch. Now that's LOVE!

I'm getting fatigued which has been my main side-effect so  I need to wrap this up can come back tomorrow. So here is what I've experienced thus far; fatigue, shortness of breath (out of shape), discolored fingernails, and this Sunday I woke up with black spots on my tongue, and inner cheek... But no vomitting only slight naseau which I counteract with medication.

The pain from the port goes away once it's in... so that doesn't count.

Well my dear readers... thank you for stopping by. If you don't have your mammogram scheduled for 2010 please make the call. Don't put it off.  Next Chemo on 5/4.

Love and Miss you all ~ Grace and Peace

Tish

7 comments:

  1. Be strong and courageous.
    Do not be terrified;
    Do not be discouraged,
    For the Lord your God
    Will be with you wherever you go.
    Joshua 1:9

    Thanks for the update Tish! I'm here for you and love you so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm not worried. I'm not upset. I'm confident I will see God's Goodness." In other words, "This situation I'm in may be rough, but it's not going to steal my vision. It's not going to cause me to give up. I am CONFIDENT that this year, I will see God's favor in a new way." (Psalm 27:13) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew, what a way to start chemo ... needle sticks is no joke! I am glad ole Heather came through since the 3rd time was a charm or, they would need to get another set of staff to stop inflicting that type of pain. Happy to read all else went well. My hats goes off to you to enroll in the clinical trial. Yes, the Questionnaire is Lenghty but I am so proud of you to wanna help another. That is what LIFE is about. Know that I am a call away. Love you MUCH. V~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronica ~ that article you gave me about Henrietta Leeks (not sure if that is correct name), well the guy who's overseeing the clinical trial worked at Johns Hopkins, and is currently reading the book... how amazing is that? Thanks for sharing, it really made the difference in me doing the clinical trial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. UCSF is a great Hospital and Cancer Center. My daughter couldn't be a better place to have her treatment. I was impressed. After her telling me about the place in Stockton, I'm sure this is the right decision. The staff was great and we were met my a male nurse name Marshall. He was kind, considered and very patient. Tish is right, I truly thought I was going to faint when they had to try and get to her port several times before nurse Heather came.Other than watching my daughter go through all of this, the drive, the view, the people, the staff and everything else went well. God is helping me see Glory even in the mist of the storm and I constantly reflect on his love and mercy to keep us strong. Thanks everyone for all your prayers, thoughts, food, phone calls, cards and flowers to my daughter. She needs lots of rest and I know that everyone is concern. But the real perspective is she needs lots of rest, so try not to call too much during the day, or I if I'm there I'll unplug the phone. (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone who is supporting the cause for breast cancer for LaTishia's 41at birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Sista. I hope you had a wonderful day. Remember that God LOVES You and we will guide you through this. I will keep you in my prayers. Be Blessed and dont forget to treat yourself on being 41 years young. :)

    ReplyDelete