Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Four years and counting...

As the Pink Ribbons abound and people everywhere have a heightened sense of awareness about Breast Cancer during the month of October. I'm reminded too, that I was once on the other side of survival. My initial diagnosis was in January 2010 and boy oh boy was that a true shocker. I won't rehash the past, but I'm here to say and remind people - those fearless women, the countless number of families who have to endure and go through this painful ordeal - that you too, can end up on the #WinningSide. I had a conversation today with my husband over lunch about how it seems surreal that I had 12 rounds of chemotherapy, 12 months of Herceptin and many shots, blood draws, sleepless nights and so much pain just moving around. But I'm still here, and I'm healthy and well. My levels are good, I'm working out, my body is healing, I can even feel the slightest touch in my breast...

But my badge of honor doesn't come from the scars on my body that I see daily when I look in the mirror, or from my memory of my road to survivor - my badge of honor comes from being a voice and advocate for those who will go through, are currently going through, and to be a support for the families and friends of loved ones who have succumbed.

In the spirit of awareness this month, I dusted off the link to the blog and decided today was the day to write. Hey, I may even read the entries from my past. But know this, four and a half years ago my life was forever changed and I can honestly say that I am healed and Cancer Free!! I am also very grateful for the love, support and amazing outcomes from my healthcare professionals. Get your mammograms ladies; men encourage your wife, daughter, mother and sisters to get checked!! Early detection truly does save lives.

Grace and Peace
Tish

No comments:

Post a Comment